National Neuroscience Institute (NNI)
Singapore, which has been ranked by the World Health Organization as having the finest healthcare system in Asia, is particularly advanced in the quality of its doctors, researchers, high-technology diagnostic equipment and its establishment of several multi-disciplinary units in hospitals. The five-suite facility at SGH will set a new standard for the comprehensive approach to cancer care as well as neurosurgery, otolaryngology (ear, nose & throat) and orthopedic surgery in terms of clinical results and overall cost effectiveness.
Neuroscience is a rapidly evolving field driven by advances in technology. Singapore’s National Neuroscience Institute (NNI) research efforts in the department are undertaken by clinical staff in active collaboration with basic scientists in the biomedical and engineering sciences. The residency programme also mandates that one year be dedicated to research.
The Singapore Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) and the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School (Duke-NUS GMS) collaberated new partnership to build up an integrated neuroscience research programme. The Partnership aims to bring into the neuroscience programme related multidisciplinary expertise and resources. Genomics expertise and research engineers working in the area of cognitive systems at A*STAR's Genome Institute of Singapore and the Science and Engineering research institutes respectively would also be able to contribute to the Neuroscience Research Partnership.
The Department of Physiology at the National University of Singapore is focused also on world-class research into cellular, system and behavioral functions of the central nervous system. The National Neuroscience Institute has been selected as one of the 11 international NPF Centers of Excellence in the world outside the United States and the only center of excellence in Asia. The designation was awarded by the American National Parkinson Foundation (NPF).The NPF, based in the United States, is the largest organization in the world serving persons affected by Parkinson’s disease.
The centre also co-ordinates and provides clinical neuroscience training and conducts basic and clinical neuroscience research in Singapore. Research Laboratories are for Epilepsy, Ion Channel & Transporter, Neurodegeneration, Neuromuscular, Gene Regulation, Acute Brain Injury, Neuropharmacology & Lead Discovery, Neuro-Oncology Research Laboratory etc.
- Prevalence and Incidence studies on Parkinson's disease and Essential Tremors in Singapore
- Dietary and health factors for Parkinson's disease in the Singapore Chinese Health Study - a cohort study.
- Quality of Life in patients with Parkinson's disease
- Cautionary in evaluating peripheral neuropathy
- Collaboration study with centers from Taiwan and Netherlands and found a genetic variant (of a gene called LRRK2) which is associated with a two-fold increased risk of Parkinson’s disease NNI Selected as a Center of Excellence in the Care and Research in Parkinson’s Disease
- Genetics of Dystonia and Parkinson's disease
- Efficacious for IOM during spinal cord surgery
- Use of Botulinum Toxin for the treatment of migraine and tension headaches
- Prevention of seizures or neuronal death in the hilus of the dentate gyrus
- Factors that may contribute to the observed ethnic variability in dementia etiologies
- Narcolepsy and other sleep disorders
- Usefulness of MR spectroscopy in differentiating an aspergilloma from a high-grade glioma.
- Awarded for axonal receptor tyrosine phosphatases in Drosophila neural development under collaboration with institute of Molecular & Cell Biology, National University of Singapore, California Institute of Technology (USA) and Dana Farber Cancer Institute (Boston, USA)
- Chemotherapy using "decreased-dose-intensity" for tumor
The Neuroscience Specialists Outpatient Clinics at NNI (TTSH Campus) provides the following services:
National Neuroscience InstituteWebsite: http://www.nni.com.sg/Comments
11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng
Telephone: (65) 6357-7095
Fax: (65) 6357-7103