The Cathedral of the Good Shepherd

The Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, SingaporeThe oldest Catholic church in Singapore, the Cathedral is also the revered home of the present Archbishop. But when the church's foundation stone was initially laid in 1843, little did people know that it would be the centre of an architectural design showdown between colonial architect-greats, D.L. Sweeney and J.T. Thomson. Thomson's design was eventually chosen even though it was considered more expensive than Sweeney's. Charles Dyce, a third architect, added the tower and spire to the design a year later. The Cathedral was gazetted as a national monument on 28 June 1973.

Location: Queen Street Singapore 188533
Tel: (65) 6337 2036

Getting There: Take the MRT to City Hall MRT Station (EW13/NS25) and walk along Bras Basah Road.

Service Times: For a list of service times, visit http://www.veritas.org.sg/cdir.php

Comments