Singapore Botanic Gardens
The Gardens epitomises the tropical island's luxuriant parks. Spread over 52 hectares and close to the centre of the city, the Gardens is a combination of untouched primary forest and specialty gardens displaying frangipanis, roses, ferns and desert plants, to name a few. There are numerous plant species here, including many rare specimens, reflect the Gardens' richness and diversity of plant life.
The present orchid enclosure has 20,000 orchid plants on display. The National Orchid Garden promises sprawling orchid displays, water features, and an exotic bromeliad collection from Central and South America. Other attractions for visitors' enjoyment include Palm Valley, Eco-Lake and outdoor concerts on Symphony Lake.
Shop for exquisitely beautiful gift items at the RISIS Store located at the entrance of National Orchid Garden. Its merchandise ranges from ornate sets of orchid brooches to unique name cardholders with designs inspired by the Peranakan culture, which is a fusion of Chinese, Malay, and European influences. Definitely a great place for those who are looking for special mementos.
If you are looking for a fine dining experience by the greens, head on down to Au Jardin, an exclusive little French restaurant serving one of the best French cuisine in town. For more information, call Tel: 6466 8812. If fine dining is not your cup of tea, drop by any of the cafes ideally located in the Gardens.
Open: 5am - 12 midnight (daily)
National Orchid Garden: 8.30am - 7pm (daily)
RISIS Store: 8.45am - 5.45pm (daily)
Botanic Gardens: Free
National Orchid Garden: SGD 2 adults, SGD 1 children and seniors
Approximate Touring Time: 2 hours
Location: Cluny Road Singapore 259569
Tel: (65) 6471 7361
Fax: (65) 6475 4295
Getting There: From the Orchard MRT Station (NS22) along Orchard Boulevard, take SBS bus 7, 105, 106, 123 or 174.
Accessibility for the physically disabled: The following information is obtained from Access Singapore.
- Entrance - Accessible to wheelchair and ambulant-disabled.
- Reserved disabled car park lot - At Cluny Road. Accessible to wheelchair and ambulant-disabled.
- Accessibility within the premises - Big compound and hilly terrain at some points. Access to wheelchair is limited and assistance may be required. Accessible to ambulant-disabled.
- Lifts - Nil
- Public toilets for the disabled - Bukhill Hall (door closes inward). National Orchid Garden (steep kerb ramp at door). Access to wheelchair is limited and assistance may be required. Accessible to ambulant-disabled.
- Eating outlets - Nil
- Public telephone - Accessible to wheelchair and ambulant-disabled.
- Taxi stand - Nil
Web sites : Singapore Botanic GardensComments